We willingly or unwillingly to suppress our natural urges as they are considered against etiquettes to relieve them in public and embarrassing as such.
Also, due to the modern day desk oriented work culture and due to busy schedules some of these urges are suppressed or simply ignored. But according to Ayurveda, they subtly cause aggravation of Dosha particularly the Vata Dosha, which in turn is the initiator of many different disease pathologies. If the natural urges are ignored for a long time they can cause serious debilitating and even fatal diseases.
Treatment of the immediate and long term disorders caused due to the suppression of the natural urges:
1) Treatment of disorders arising out of Suppression of the urge to burpis done similar to the treatment of hiccup and involves the use of food or herbs which can pacify Vata and Kapha and is hot by nature (and temperature) and also promote the downward movement of Vata. For example warm castor oil taken at night.
2)Treatment of disorders arising out of suppression of the urge to Yawninvolves use of Vata pacifying food, lifestyle and herbs because most of these disorders are Vata disorders.
3) Treatment of disorders arising out of suppression of the urge to eat involves as anticipated, to feed the person with warm, and easy to digest food with little ghee like a lntil soup. Slowly the wholesome diet can be introduced over 2-3 meal times.
4) Treatment of disorders arising out of suppression of the urge to quench thethirst is treated by giving cooling ( not chilled) , and nourishing beverages like a sherbet or coconut water. Chilled drinks are to be avoided as they will aggravate Vata and will be counterproductive and will produce more thirst.
5) Treatment of disorders arising out of suppression of the urge to weep (withholding of tears)is done by putting the person to sleep, trying to make the person happy or through use of wine in limited quantity.
6) Treatment of disorders arising out of suppression of the urge to sleep can be treated by simply going to sleep! But it is not as simple as that. Sometimes the Vata gets aggravated so much that the person is not able to sleep. So in these cases, Ayurveda advocates that somebody should give a gentle squeezing massage to the limbs to make that person fall asleep.
7) Treatment of disorders arising out of suppression of the urge to breathe rapidly as a result of physical labor is done by giving the person rest followed by the Vata pacifying diet and lifestyle.
Comments will be approved before showing up.