Lord Atreya, author of the Charaka Samhita (early text on Ayurveda – Indian traditional medicine) explains the proper way of eating food:
If you eat too much or too less or the wrong way, then it can be harmful and it is very important for us to understand how and when food should be eaten.
Eating is very important in life. It helps in sustaining a good life. In the same way, eating polluted food can cause diseases. Eating properly and regularly helps in maintaining digestion power. In other words, it helps in maintaining the body’s temperature and good health.
Food energizes the mind. It balances the diet and helps in maintaining the body’s natural balance. It is beneficial to keep the senses of the body in good condition.
1. Water is helpful in bringing moisture into the body
2. Salt helps in clearing the kapha in the body
3. Honey helps in joining broken elements, and clarified butter smoothens
4. Milk gives life
5. Meat increases muscles in the body
6. Meat soup gives satisfaction and the utmost power
7. Alcohol (in moderation) helps in good digestion.
8. Curd causes inflammation
9. Urad daal creates toxins in the intestines
10. Except for anaar and amla, every sour food material increases pitta in the body
11. Honey, rice, barley, and wheat except for these every sweet food increase kapha in the body
12. Except for parmal, all bitter taste foods increase air or Vata in the body.
13. All spicy food increase vata in the body and decreases semen.