Marma: 29 Marma Points For Pain Relief
According to Ayurveda, marma points are the joining point where muscle (mamsa), vein (sira), ligament (snayu), bone (asthi) and joint (sandhi) meet.
These are special points (sthana) in the human body and any injury to these marmas may lead to disease, disability and if not properly treated even fatal conditions. Here, we discuss 29 marmapoints for pain relief.
Therapeutic Use Of Marma Points
Marma points are manipulated by several techniques. Rubbing the marma, applying pressure, oil massage, herbal paste application, and fomentation may be used according to the diseased condition.
Marma Points For Pain Relief
Instant pain relief is the motive of marma therapy. Stimulation of marma can produce analgesia by secreting a number of prostaglandin inhibitors, endorphins, interferon and other opioid-like substances which are a hundred times more potent than opium.1
Instant pain relief with marma therapy is possible within no time. The following marma points are responsible for pain relief in different organs.
Surgery And Injury To Marma
The Ayurvedic scholar Sushruta was a surgeon as well as the author of the ancient Ayurvedic medical text Sushruta Samhita. He stressed the importance of the knowledge of marmain surgical practice.
He stated that in any surgical procedure, the knowledge of Marma and other structures like nerves, muscles, bones, veins, and arteries is utmost essential.
An injury to an area adjacent to a marma, whether incidental or not, exhibits the same series of symptoms as an actually affected marma. A cut, incision, blow (abhighata), burn, puncture or injury by any other cause will affect the marma.
A direct injury to a marma, whether it be severe or slight, is sure to bring deformity or death if not treated.2
While performing ksharakarma—the application of plant alkalis—the knowledge of marmais essential. Kshara can act as a surgical instrument hence one should be cautious.
The area of marmais very sensitive hence a surgeon should take precaution while performing any surgery. One should also take precaution while applying anything onto the marmaareas or near these vital points.
Marmapoints are stimulated by massage. Massaging the marmawill give the healing effects to specific areas of the mind-body system. Marmasare sensitive areas so massage should be done carefully.
Apply steady pressure on the Marma point for approximately 1-2 minutes.
For toning and strengthening the internal organs, massage should be done in a clockwise direction. This pacifies Vata and Kapha but may stimulate Pitta dosha. Counterclockwise movement is calming and pacifying.
It soothes Pitta dosha but may stimulate vata and Kapha dosha. Linear movement balances vata dosha.3
For Vāta prakriti, use sesame oil in large quantity. For Pitta prakriti, use coconut oil, ghee or sandalwood oil. For Kapha prakritiuse mustard oil or safflower oil.
Anatomical and applied physiological information about marmais essential for a panchakarma therapist as it helps to avoid the possibility of any kind of injury or trauma to these vital spots during therapy.
It also helps in the selection of appropriate therapeutic interventions through Marma points.4
Marma Points For Pain Relief
Rub gently or apply pressure to these marma points.
Shoulder Pain: The Kshipra marmaand Kurpara marma are great for shoulder pain relief.
2. Abdominal Pain: The Kurpara marmaand Urvi marma work well for abdominal pain.
3. Chest Pain: The Kurpara, Urvi and Ani marma might help relieve chest pain.
4. Cervical (Neck) Pain: The Kshipra, Kurpara,and Ani marma help with neck pain.
5. Leg And Knee Pain: Rub or apply gentle pressure to Kshipra marma and Gulpha marma.
6. Sciatic Pain: Rub or apply gentle pressure to Kshipra marma and Gulpha marma.
7. Kurcha marma improves the digestive process and agni (metabolism). This marma point can also help with metabolism.
8. Kurcha marma improves the flow of prana to the hand.
9. Kurchashira marma supports healthy digestion and agni (metabolism) in general.
More Marma Points For Pain Relief
Kurchashira marma is helpful for reproductive function.
11. Manibandha marma helps reduce excess fat deposits.
12. Manibandha marma helps maintain functional hand movement.
13. Manibandha marma energizes the reproductive system.
14. Kshipra marma supports heart function.
15. Kshipra marma supports lung function.
16. Kshipra marma provides lubrication to the heart.
17. Talahridaya marma supports heart and lung function.
18. Kurcha marma promotes visual acuity.
19. Kurchashira marma calms the nervous system.
20. Kurchashira marma promotes a healthy muscular system.
21. Kurchashira marma has considerable influence on hand muscles.
22. Manibandha marmapromotes healthy joints.
23. Manibandha marma promotes bone growth.
24. Manibandha marma helps relieve skeletal pain.
25. Kshipra marmastimulates the lymphatic system.
26. Kshipra marma improves the flow of prana throughout the entire body.
27. Kshipra marma provides lubrication to the lungs.
28. Talahridaya marma is good for giving and receiving healing energy.
29. Talahridaya marma helps strengthen the immune system.
Consult your Ayurvedic practitioner before trying to massage your marma points for pain relief.
1 Dr. Sunil Kumar Joshi, Marma Science, and Principles of Marma Therapy, Vani Publications.
2 Sushruta Samhita, Sharir sthana, Chapter 6, verse 41.
3 Lad, Vasant, ‘Marma Points of Ayurveda’, The Ayurvedic Press, New Mexico, p: 76.
4 KERALA AYURVEDA ACADEMY KAA 108: Ayurvedic Bodywork 2016 KERALA AYURVEDA ACADEMY KAA, p: 38.
More Research on marma points – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4687231/