1. What makes Ashwagandha a 'wonder-herb'?
Pronounced Ash-wah-gah-ndah: However complex the name, the benefits are simply astounding and far-reaching. The word 'Ashwa' is Sanskrit for a horse! Because the body's natural defense system gets weaker as we age, here's something that rehabilitates our inner-workings to help us harness horse-like-power from within ourselves!
Ancient Ayurvedic texts describe Ashwagandha as 'Vayasthapana' - that which helps you age with energy and embrace your senior years with the same teenage gusto that you're known for!
'Vaya' means 'age' - 'Sthapana' means 'to restore'.
Ashwagandha is commonly known as 'Indian Winter Cherry' or 'Indian Ginseng'.
2. Ashwagandha helps to improve body strength
Known as Gatrakari in Ayurvedic texts: 'Gatra' meaning 'the body' & 'kari' meaning 'that which enhances'. As a supplement, when coupled with physical activity, Ashwagandha is growth-enhancing and immunity-boosting
3. As per ancient Ayurvedic researchers like 'Charak', Ashwagandha is considered to be a 'Rasayana' - the one that improves longevity. A tonic that is especially beneficial for people in their senior years. The 'Rasa' or the essence of the herb nourishes targeted body tissues from deep within. A few examples of body tissues are muscles and bones. Wherever help is needed, help is delivered!
4. Ashwagandha improves the overall appearance of the body and the complexion of skin
5. Ashwagandha helps nurture & clarify the mind in our senior years.
It's considered to be Sattvic in nature. Etymologically speaking, the Sanskrit word Sattvic comes from the word 'Sattva'. In English, Sattva translates to 'pure, vital, energy, clean, conscious, strong, courage, true, honest, wise, rudiment of life'...
These Sattvic characteristics calm the mind, consequentially helping us to sleep better and harbor a youthful state of mind when awake. When prepared with milk and taken before bed - it's remarkably effective!
6. The Energetic Effects of Ashwagandha
The heating virya or energetic effects of Ashwagandha make it popular as a full-body rejuvenator. When applied to muscles and joints as an oil, Ashwagandha helps banish discomfort like no other. If you feel overworked or fatigued - a 10-minute self-massage (Abhyanga) session before bed with an authentically Ayurvedic Ashwagandha Oil helps you age with energy and flexibility!